Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Good News Bears


We have a winner!  Finally my softball team won our first game last night with a final score of 10 to 5.  For those of you counting at home, we are 1 and 4 on the season.  Admittedly, we beat the worst team in the league, but if we had lost we would be them.  It's a good feeling, it really is. 
Our post game celebration was at McDonalds cause we're street like that.  God help us if we win again we'll probably celebrate at an AMPM.
As for myself, as I am an individual, I went 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored. 
My first at-bat was miserable.  There were runners on but I wasn't feeling any pressure.  I took strike one, as I often do to get my timing, and it was a really good pitch to hit.  You start out your at-bats with 1 ball (like Hitler!) and 1 strike, so I'm now down 1 and 2.  The next pitch was really tough because it was gonna be deep but possibly strike 3.  The problem was I don't hit high pitches well but I had to swing.  I popped (or pooped) the ball up about 4 feet from me and the catcher (who must've been 12 years old) caught it for the out.  So I curse loudly and hit myself over the head with my bat... and continue to curse at myself as I walk back to the dugout.
My second at-bat I felt the need to redeem myself.  I was leading off the inning and I hit a solid single to centerfield.  So I'm on first and looking to go to third on any basehit to the outfield (cause I'm that fast, seriously), and what happens?  My teammate hits a soft grounder to shortstop and I'm out at second.  Luckily, he's a very slow runner so I went back to first base and pinch ran for him.  The next batter hits a hard single to left and I'm flying to third base by the time the ball gets to the outfielder.  There's no third base coach (thanks team) so I have to watch the outfielder while I'm running.  He bobbles the ball and I'm going home.  There's no play cause I'm that fast, seriously.
In my third at-bat I walked and didn't score (story of my life).
In the field, I got to play firstbase for the first time this season.  I had been playing right-center in the outfield.  I think I held my own and maybe even impressed at firstbase.  I made a play on a grounder and threw out the lead runner at second.  I also made a pick on a throw from the pitcher.  My teammates seemed impressed so we'll see where I play next game. 
Till then (singing) "Take me out to the ball game..."  Oh yeah.
Medical Report:  My shin splints have completely healed.  Thanks Dr. Wells (my chiropractor)!

No comments:

Post a Comment