Friday, July 15, 2005

Comic-Con II: The Sequel


Hey there, kiddies!  Friday at the Con is in the books.  Here's what all went down:
The morning started off early (too early) as always.  Our first stop was the Warner Brothers panel.  This was the main event for you Natalie Portman fans.  She was there promoting the movie, V for Vendetta, for which she shaved her head.  They handed out masks in a gift bag they gave out cause apparently V (the character) wears one, for reasons unknown to me.  Anyone having seenGarden State will know this next bit.  I took out my sharpee and wrote the word, "BALLS" on the forehead of my mask.  I'm still laughing inside. 
Once Ms. Portman left, the producers of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride came out and showed a clip and, "Zzzzzz...." oh sorry about that.  Next, they showed a trailer for the new Harry Potter and the whatever and whatever.
Last in the panel was director Darren Aronofsky (PiRequiem for a Dream) and Rachel Weisz (The MummyConstantine) promoting their new movie The Fountain.  Hugh Jackman is in it and he recorded a message for us but didn't show up cause he's filming some movie that starts with X but I can't remember the title (it, too, will be awesome).  Aronofsky was nervous and funny and he cursed a lot so that was good-times.
Then after a few lesser trailers that will go unmentioned (cause there were a lot), it was hungry time.  We walked 20 blocks to Pokez (pronounced Poh-keez).  On the way over there, a girl asked me, "Do you have a minute for the environment?"  I, to my own surprise, just started laughing and then pointed at my BALLS (mask) which I had been carrying and kept walking.  At Pokez, I ate a big ass carne asada quesadilla.  It, too, was awesome.  Then we went over to Ole Madrid cause my friend Corey knew the waitress and Corey got drunk off 9 beers and a shot of Patron (tequila, for the layman).  I kept up with him with my Cokes and water.  I tasted the Patron (a little more than I expected) and it was awful (as expected). 
None other than Gerry walked by, to which I yelled,"GEERRRYYY" with open arms.  He gave me a free screening pass to see The Island and I didn't go see it.  I do feel bad for taking it and not seeing it (Sorry Gerry).
On the way back to the Convention Center, I stopped by Henry's Pub and talked to Cyndi while she attempted to work.  I was clearly in the way but it had been a while since we'd seen each other or spoken.  So that was good-times. 
When we got back to the Con, we looked around a bit but left the exhibit hall unfulfilled.  There is a major shortage of "Booth Babes" this year, which is disappointing at best.  Then I went and watched Hellboy.  It was good and unflinching in its comic book-ness.  Then I went home cause that's all that was going on of interest.  That's kind of lame.
But over the course of the day I managed to yell strange things at celebrities which hindsight makes me look like a douche.  I saw Elizabeth Berkley (ShowgirlsSaved by the Bell) and I simply shouted, "SCREECH" and kept moving.  Then I saw Hal Sparks (I Love the 80'sI Love the 90's) and I just yelled, "What kind of week are you having" while pointing at my BALLS (mask) for no reason and I kept walking.
This Con thus far has been somewhat lame on the programming side but we'll see what happens tomorrow.  Oh yeah (pointing at my BALLS)!

No comments:

Post a Comment