Sunday, November 20, 2005

I Sure Hope Chicks Dig Scars...

'Cause I'm gonna have one. Let me explain. In our softball game on Friday night, I hurt my leg. I was at 2nd base (not that way, unfortunately) and the batter hit a grounder to 3rd base. Generally, in baseball, when that happens the runner at 2nd goes back to the base so as not to get tagged out by the 3rd baseman. I went back a little but I was feeling aggressive (as I always do). So when he threw the ball to 1st, I took off for 3rd. Two reasons: 1. I've done it before and successfully (I'm quite swift). 2. The bases are so close together (exception being: 1st to 3rd & 2nd to Home plate). Reason I failed: 1. I distinctly remember watching the 1st basewoman catch the ball before I left 2nd. That's a big mistake. If you're watching, you're not moving. And if you're not moving, you're out. So I run. And as luck would have it, the girl playing 1st can catch and throw. As I run, I can sense the throw coming. So I do what any red-blooded crazy would do, I slide. The dude at 3rd tags me hard in the chest. I'm way out. And, here it comes, I scraped the shit up out of my left knee. My technique wasn't very stellar but I haven't slid into anything in 11 years. We're talking 5th grade, people! I limp over to the dugout. I never dust myself off. I never sit down. I look at it just to see it bleeding, to the horror of some. I roll my sock back up and play out the rest of the game. That night, I washed it out with water and dabbed it with peroxide. Once it stopped bleeding of course. I covered it with some gauze and tied it in place with an old baseball sock. I'm hardcore. Day 2 was painful. It hardened up and that made moving hurt and burn. Luckily, neither of the dogs got near it. It may have cost them their lives (and I love dogs). Day 3 (today) was more of the same. It hurts to put weight on it. Peroxide has bubbled thus signaling infection. I'll continue to use that stuff till the bubblies stop. Neosporin doesn't really help (at least not the pain) and it makes everything look gooey. We'll see what tomorrow brings on campus and walking around. What have I gotten out of this? Hopefully, a reputation but I doubt it. Probably a scar. Eh, I can live with that. A blood stain on my game socks. That's damn right. I'm hardcore. Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment