Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'd put this rant into song but...


I can't and that is precisely why I am ranting. 

You see, kids, I once wanted to be a musician.  Rock star would probably be more accurate.  I gave that up long ago when I realized that I have little or no musical ability.

To put it another way, I have been playing guitar since the 8th grade, and I STILL can't play well.  Is it a matter of rhythm?  Not really.  Is it a matter of tonal hearing deficiencies?  Please, with these ears?!  Is it a matter of patience?  Bingo!
I have absolutely no patience with music.  If something doesn't sound right or is too complicated within 10 minutes, I am done with it.  That's it.  That's really all the time I give it.

And it bothers me to no end.  I want to be able to write songs, stuff that means something to me, that says something for me.  But I can't.  It just doesn't come out of me that way.
So what do I do?

I envy.  That's right, kids, I commit one of the seven deadly sins towards singer/songwriters.  I wish I could do what they do.  But instead I sit in a corner, none to often, and play little Blink-182 riffs; at least the ones I can remember at this point.  That's no knock on Blink-182 cause I still love that stuff and it still has meaning for me.  I would just like to express myself musically.

It's not like I'm without outlets.  I can sit and write stuff (like blogs) and get my thoughts out but there is just something different about music.  It goes deeper, maybe.  It has so much more soul to it.  I'm proud of the stuff I write (like blogs, screenplays, etc.) don't get me wrong.  It's just so much more fulfilling to hear someone take their thoughts and feelings and make them sound so sweet, as opposed to my ranting and raving. 

Hell, even comedy can be so much funnier when put into song (i.e. Stephen Lynch, Denis Leary's "Asshole").
So to you musicians out there, I say, treasure your gift.  It may not be as rare a gift as it used to be but there are still folks like me who would die to have it.  And don't abuse it, in the name of money or fame, it's worth infinitely more than that. 
You have my respect.  Keep it up.   :-P Pbbbbbbbbbbth!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment