Thursday, July 27, 2006

Comic-Connery Part 2


Hey kids!  As promised, here is the exciting conclusion to my goings-on at the Comic-Con:
Saturday:  It started off bright and early again.  I was actually late due to the heavy traffic but luckily Gerry saved me a seat.  First up was Warner Bros. again, this time presenting the movie, 300, based on Frank Miller's (of Sin City) graffic novel about Spartans.  The clips they showed were so epic and so awesome that they showed them an unprecendented 3 times.  There was killin', there was slow-mo, and there was boobies; everything a good trailer needs. 
Next up was Robert Rodriguez for the film Grind House, or so we thought... As it turns out, Grind House is going to be an old-fashioned double feature with one movie directed by the Desperado and the second being directed by Quentin Tarantino.  And who happened to stroll out shortly after the panel began?  Tarantino himself!  He was hilarious and excited as always.  They showed some ridiculous clips from Planet Terror, which Rodriguez is still shooting.  Let's just say he's thought of some interesting ways to replace an amputee's leg...  Tarantino's film, which he hasn't shot yet, is called Death Proof and it's about a stuntwoman who kicks ass and such.  The villain in the film will be played by none-other-than Kurt Russell!  Joining the directors in the panel were Rosario Dawson (hottie), Marley Shelton (new-found hottie), Rose McGowan (I'd forgotten she was such a hottie), and some girls I've never heard of but hotties all of them.  I can't wait for these movies next April.  Two for One, bitches!
Next up was supposed to be Kevin Smith.  However, Silent Bob was still in transit and thus pushed back to later in the day.  It was a bummer.  To somewhat appease us, they showed a huge preview of Broken Lizards' new movie,BeerFest.  You can guess what it is about.
After that we had hours to kill so Gerry, Butch, and I took a cab over to Pokez (pronounced POH-KEEZ).  It's tradition.  We sweated our balls off over some fine mexican food.  We stepped outside the restaurant after our filling treats and realized that it was cooler in the shade outdoors.  We walked all the way back to 'the Con (about 10 blocks), being mindful to stay in the shade.
When we stepped into the air conditioned monstrosity I call work, Butch went to do his "Veronica Mars thing."  Gerry and I went upstairs and watched our classmates' film, Bartholomew's Song.  We then promptly left before Dean Bull'sLong Brown Coat started, as is customary when you think people are douches.
When we got back downstairs, the line for the Sony panel was HUGE.  I lost Gerry very quickly.  Luckily, he found some friends near the front of the line, and thanks to the miracle of cell phones, I found Gerry again!  When we finally got inside, the Ghost Rider panel was already going.  Nick Cage and Eva Mendes were there again.  Nick Cage had some horrendous sunglasses on and an equally confounding hairdo.  But we weren't there to see Ghost Rider...
Because Sam Raimi came out to talk about Spiderman 3!  And he brought some friends!  Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Topher Grace, Thomas Haden Church, and Bryce Dallas Howard came too.  They showed a mostly unfinished clip from Spidey 3, which will bring Venom to the big screen next year.  It should be as good as its predecessors.
Sony also showed a clip from the Tenacious D movie.  The clip wasn't great but the movie should be, I hope.
After that, Kevin Smith made his annual appearance.  He was funny as ever and Jason Mewes also showed up.  I can't really think of anything else here.  Well,you should've been there!
After that, I met Jen and her cousins at Hooters for dinner.  Two days in a row, I know...  I had a burger as we debated the nature vs. nurture elements of our waitress's breasts.  I still contend that "they" are fake.  I take sweater pillows very seriously as you well know.
I left Hooters to go catch some of the masquerade ball at 'the Con but my stomach had other plans, so my night ended on kind of a down note.  My Sunday return was in doubt...
Sunday:  I did not want to wake up on this day.  I debated (in my head) whether anything was worth the drive and eventually decided to be back by midday.  Upon arriving, I went up and caught the last half of the Grudge 2 panel.  I know,Grudge 2: Grudge Harder, right?  I was glad when it ended to be sure.
The Rogue Pictures panel started next with the movie Balls of Fury.  Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant came back and answered more questions about the ping-pong movie.  They signed a man's underwear and made jokes, and then what was clearly (to me) a stunt, a man came up and angered them and they chased him around the room.  After pummeling him, they left and it was announced that the fire marshal was kicking them out.  But I have it on good authority (the fire marshal's own mouth) that no such thing occurred.
After that fiasco, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost (of Shaun of the Dead) came out to promote their next movie, Hot Fuzz.  It promises to do to cop/action movies what Shaun did for zombie movies.  They answered questions about all things English and the major panels of 2006 came to a close. 
On my way back to the exhibit hall, I noticed that Thomas Lennon and RBG were going to be signing autographs.  There were only 10 or so people in line so I jumped in.  My intent was to get a photo with them, as I had failed to on Friday.  It was a chance to make right what once went wrong, like Quantum Leap!  After waiting a bit, we were informed that they were nowhere to be found.  RATS!  Such is life...
I meandered the exhibit floor looking for things to buy but found little.  I picked up the Clerks II screenplay and a Jim Edmonds figure by Todd McFarlane.  I still felt a little dejected and had money to burn so I stopped at Best Buy on the way home.  I picked up Platoon: 20th Anniversary, Three AmigosSay AnythingThe AristocratsReno 911!: Season 3 (I wasn't bitter), and Shaun of the Dead.  They're all good, you should pick 'em up.
As you have seen, I didn't stay for one movie (at 'the Con) as the night-time programming has taken a real dive the last two years.  This may have been my last 'Con so I'm pretty disappointed by that.  But the panels were great and I had a good time thanks to good company. 
So, if you didn't go, now you know... What you missed anyhow.  And I didn't even go to all of it.  Be there if you can in the future!  Back to normal blogs, YAY!   :-P  Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbth!!!
Check out 'ma pictures at http://photobucket.com/albums/a30/psychodan13/

No comments:

Post a Comment