Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Comic-Connery Part 1


Hey kids!  I've finally recovered from the weekend that was: Comic-Con 2006.  It's been better in previous years but I still had fun.  Here's a rundown of what I did and when I did it (hehe, dirty):
Thursday:  I started out by picking up Gerry and David.  We walked around the exhibit hall and I got some wings from the Snakes on a Plane booth.  They didn't have any cool shirts which was a bummer.  I lost Gerry and David at some point and went and ate lunch with Corey in Seaport Village (so not worth the walk).
When we got back, we went upstairs to the Lionsgate panel.  They previewedCrank (with that Transporter guy), Saw III (I haven't seen I or II), and Skinwalkers(a werewolf movie w/ a vague title).  Shawnee Smith was there for Saw III and I said to my friends that it was high-time somebody from Becker made it to Comic-Con.
Next was David Arquette for his directorial debut, The Tripper.  They were supposed to show a preview of this movie but Arquette LOST HIS TAPE somewhere.  So his panel basically consisted of retarded stoner giggling and people asking for hugs.
After that debacle, Guillermo Del Toro (no relation to Benicio) came out to talk about his latest, Pan's Labyrinth.  The fact that the title has the word, labyrinth, in it sells me on it but Del Toro stole the show with his crude sexual analogies and great storytelling during the Q & A.  If you ever have the chance to hear him speak, take it.  He's awesome!  And that concluded Thursday.
Friday:  The day started bright and early with the Warner Bros. panel.  They showed previews for The Reaping (supernatural thriller w/ Hillary Swank), The Wicker Man (Nick Cage remake), and most importantly Bryan Singer came out to talk about my film the yearSuperman Returns.  He started out by showing 5 or 6-minutes of hilarious bloopers and then came out and did a long Q & A.  He then surprised us by bringing out Richard Donner (director of the originalSuperman: The Movie and Lethal Weapon).  Dick Donner then showed a clip from his director's cut of Superman II that will come out later this year (I think).  It was awesome!  It would've been a pretty good day if it ended right here.  Luckily, it didn't.
Next was the 20th Century Fox panel.  They started with a preview for Pathfinder(a viking movie, not my car).  Then they brought out Clancy Brown (the Kurgan from Highlander!).  It looks like a pretty cool flick about vikings landing before Columbus, and finally Eomer of LOTR (Karl Urban) gets a starring role. 
Next they previewed Reno 911!: Miami and Thomas Lennon (Lt. Dangle), Robert Ben Garant (Travis Jr.), and Kerri Kenney-Silver (Wiegel) did some improv about how the movie misrepresents them as peace officers.  It was hilarious!  Remember these guys for later in this blog.
Then, to my complete surprise, Sacha Baron Cohen came out, in-character, and previewed Borat.  He played a 10-minute clip of himself naked-slap-fighting a fat man that had everyone falling over.  It was ree-diculous.
Then I went up to the Southland Tales panel.  Richard Kelly was there previewing a scene from the Donnie Darko follow-up (not sequel, sorry kids).  The clip was extremely odd because it was a dream sequence that featured Justin Timberlake (I know, I was shocked too) lip-synching in an arcade to The Killers' "All These Things That I've Done," with dancing nurses.  It was bizarre.  The story for the movie sounds complicated but I'll probably still go see it.
After that I went to lunch in Seaport Village again but I didn't eat, though, I did have a slushy.
Then it was back to 'the Con' for Snakes on a Plane, motherfucker!  Kenan Thompson (Fat Albert) hosted the panel, which was annoying.  The director David Ellis (of Homeward Bound II fame) actually thought that we were laughingwith him when it comes to SOAP (whoa, I just noticed that).  I feel sorry for that bastard.  We're laughing at you, jackass!  Sam Jackson came out and was great but the highlight was when a fan asked him if the snakes deserved to die.  He responded, "Hell yeah.  YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL(a la A Time to Kill)!!!"  I nearly died.  It's on YouTube, check it out.
After that masterwork, Butch and I went to Hooters.  It's tradition.  We didn't get the same waitress as last time (thankfully) but ironically her name was also Karina (see previous blogs).  Twilight Zone, anyone?
After some grilled cheese and fries, we headed over to the Gaslamp movie theater to watch Clerks II.  Right when we got there, I noticed Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant (of Reno 911!) outside the theater.  Unfortunately, my camera had been dead all day (with exception of 1 shot of David Arquette).  I asked Lt. Dangle about The State DVDs and he said was doing ADR and they'd be out later this year.  I was ecstatic.  The two left after posing for pictures with Butch and hugging Gerry.
Clerks II was fucking hilarious!  It quite possibly set the record for the most times the word, cock, was said in a film.  And my name was in the credits!  I didn't see it but Butch did (the names were flyin'!).  And that ended my night. 
Part 2 tomorrow, kids.  In the meantime, check-out the photos (spoiler alert) athttp://photobucket.com/albums/a30/psychodan13/

No comments:

Post a Comment