Saturday, February 18, 2006

I shot me a film


"And it seats about 20..."

Wait, that's wrong.

Well hello, blogfans, I am back after having directed a short film, scene, thing.  See our assignment was to replicate a scene from our professor's film.  To call his film "quirky" would be a compliment, deserved or not.  At this point, I laugh at it anytime 
I hear it or see it because I'm so tired of it.

The basic story, for all intents and purposes, goes like this: Strange mute trombone player follows a lady around, poking her in the head with his slide.  Our scene takes place in her dining room. 

So you can tell this is an odd one.  We needed a trombone, we got one.  We needed actors, that was a little more tricky.  We had an actor and an actress up until the Monday of our Friday shoot and then the actress bailed on us.  I tried a friend to no avail.  I called my buddy, Isaiah, who had already signed on as our gaffer (lighting dude) and he recommended a few.  I emailed them and one of them gave me another actress's email and at 2pm on Thursday, we had an actress! 
The shoot itself went pretty well.  We got off to a slow start because checking out a mess load of equipment takes a long ass time.  We probably had less lights than we could've used but we had to make due.  So we got them up and got a few shots with our actor (because our actress was in-transit) and who shows up but our professor.  He promptly tells us we should reshoot those shots with more light.  Thanks, GD!  So we did.  Regardless of whether or not we wanted to hear it, more light is good light for the scene.

After we finished all the closeups that only involved our actor, we waited for about 10 minutes for our actress to show up.  It's understandable, she was coming from Carlsbad.  We got her in costume and started shooting again.  I think I got the performances I needed out of our actors, which was and is my job.  How it will all look in the end we will see on Thursday in Burbank when we telecine (color-correct and transfer to digital).

I feel like a success thus far and ego never hurt nobody (except Hitler, he was bad).  We got all of our shots between about 3:30 and 11pm, which is pretty good time.  I was on-set for 12.5 hours and ate 0 food (15 hours since breakfast) so I scarfed down leftover Costco pizza when I got home at 12:30ish.  I still had to unload my car of all the production equipment first and that was aggravating and sweat inducing (who doesn't like to sweat after midnight?).  Did I mention it was raining?  Where the fuck did that come from?!

It's my own fault I didn't eat.  I was on a "film high" and wasn't hungry though we had an awesome spread (Kudos to Priscilla).

So now I gotta load up the car again, ship the film to L.A. for developing, and return the equipment on Monday morning.  Should be good-times... Not... Oh yeah and at some point I'll have to pay for this thing.

But, Such is Film!

This blog is over.  Hold your applause for when I write a better one.

FIN
(How Pretentious)

See production stills at: http://photobucket.com/albums/a30/psychodan13/
Under the title Boundaries.
It should also be mentioned that this is my 100th blog.  Tip your glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment