Sunday, May 6, 2007

Rock-'Git!


Hey, kids!  Sorry about the lack of bloggage lately.  I've been pretty busy with 2 different film shoots and so I haven't had a ton of free time to get out my thoughts.  As I type, I'm awaiting the arrival of my parents from their aforeblogged Carribean cruise.  There's an anticipation in the air.  The doggies can feel it.  Can I just mention here that coming home from a 14-hour shoot, on 3 and half hours sleep, to find that one of the dogs peed on your bed is more than just a little infuriating?!  Sometimes, woman, you make me so mad...
Anyhoo, the real reason I'm feeling the need to write is because of recent sports news.  Roger Clemens has "finally decided" to come back and play for the Yankees again.  Now here's the part that really bothers me:
28 MILLION DOLLARS!!!  FOR ONE FUCKING YEAR!!!  HE WON'T EVEN PITCH TILL LATE MAY!!!
What the fuck, kids?!  This Roger Clemens retire-comeback-get paid ridiculo- game is really wrong and it's ruining baseball.  Retire your old Texan ass and STAY AWAY!  Or don't retire!  Not both!
He's turning the sport that I love into a ludacris sweepstakes of money and hired-gunnery.  What ever happened to being on a team?  You know, for thewhole year?  Spring training, road trips, etc.  Clemens doesn't even have to hang out with the team if he doesn't want to.  He can fly home to Houston on non-pitching days.  No sitting around in the dugout and cheering on his "brothers" on a nightly basis.
Now I'm not question his skills in the slightest.  He is one of the best pitchers of all-time.  No question.  And at 45 years old, he is still a force.  I'll try to ignore the fact that he puts Icy-Hot on his balls on gameday so he doesn't get comfortable.  I really wish I hadn't heard that a few weeks ago.
And the money... Well, god love the money.  Is it too much to pay anyone, for anything?  Yes.  But if someone's stupid enough, take it.
My problem lies in the fact that, beyond not having to be a team player, the Yankees didn't have to do any actual work to put together a team.  Brian Cashman, their GM, should be commended for signing Clemens and then immediately fired for putting together a pitching staff so full of holes that they would need to call in a 45 year old man.  And Clemens isn't bulletproof.  He's battled hamstring problems in the last 2 years.  I'm not saying that they should've spent more, they should at least have to be smart.  As far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't be shocked by any of the injuries they've sustained as a staff.  Their Opening Day starter hadn't pitched 10 games in 2 years!
It's bullshit that any team should have the option of waving phat-green at a guy on the sidelines because they fucked up.  Nobody else had a shot.  Nobody.
I do think Clemens needs to let go.  He's got nothing to prove.  He says he wants to watch his kids grow up and play.  Do that, man.  You've earned it already.  Think of all the people who can't do that.  They've gotta work in a factory, they can't retire until 65, and can't get a day off to see their kid play.  It's just bonkers.
That's my opinion.  What'chu'got?!  :-P  Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbth!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment