Sunday, September 3, 2006

Schoolio


Hey kids!  So I finished my first week of the home-stretch of my collegiate career.  I must say I'm somewhat worried about how hard it's going to be and how much time I'm going to have to spend on stuff.
The week started off in Editing with the Man, the Myth, the Legend: Greg Durbin (or El Durbino, as I've taken to calling him).  It was like old-times.  I listened, I nearly fell asleep, the projector didn't work, and I heckled.  I love to heckle.  It should be a fun enough class but I will need hard-drive space like crazy.  I'm not sure if I should go out and buy one or not...
Day 2 (as in Tuesday) began a little earlier.  I got down to campus and waited over a half hour to speak to my advisor.  I got all my credits worked out (so I willgraduate, or someone dies...) and enrolled in a special studies course. 
I'm basically taking Directing again.  It was a blast the first time and I've got Pete Larlham again (my jolly british prof., who still remembers me over a year later).  I walked into a much fuller class than my previous one and sat down immediately.  I took a breath and then looked around and sure enough, hey, people I know!  Shawn Johnson (of the 'Retard-Kite movie' fame) is in the class as well.  When I sat down next to him, he said, "I'm glad someone else is here that is as reserved as me."  Little does he know that I acted in our final scene in my previous class and a few other projects.  That and I can be a nut-ball at times.  I assured him that the class is fun and Peter began merrily as ever.
During some discussion about good films, Peter asked if anyone had scene a good comedy lately.  I fully expected someone to yell out "Beerfest!" or something and I said "Snakes on a Plane" quietly to myself and Shawn.  But then a girl towards the back says, "Steve Martin's The Jerk!"  I instantly love her.  Peter asked about recent comedies, she throws out one from 1979 which also happens to be one of my Top 10 films. 
How awesome is that?  "Very awesome," you would have said had you been there.
After class I turned in some forms and got the hell out of that heat furnace that is SDSU at 2pm.  Seriously, this heat must be stopped.
Wednesday.  I have no classes on Wednesday, therefore it was not exciting.
On Thursday, I was supposed to go to the Theatre dept. auditions as a replacement for Directing (Peter is casting a play).  I SOoo blew that.  See, we were having our roof re-done at my house so there were dudes hammering on the roof at 8am and the dogs were barking at them, so my sleep was far from pleasant.  I wasn't absent though because there was no roll or sign-in sheet at the auditions.
I did stroll down to campus for my next class, Advanced Film.  I got to the Comm building and talked to folks like Rian (the Hawaiian) about his movie I'll be producing.  We get into class and we've got a professor that few of us are familiar with, Richard Taylor.  Besides professoring, he's a producer at Cox Cable Channel 4.  He's also got some radical ideas.  Instead of pitching our ideas and picking the best 5 to make into short films, he wants us to make (wait for it... wait for it...) 18 short films!  That's 1 for every student.  The man is nuts but he slowly sold most of us on the idea. 
At the very least, I get my movie made no matter what.  It's going to cost me more but it'll get made.  I also get to use people from outside the class in my main crew, i.e. DP (hehe) and editor.  That's cool.  We're still gonna pitch next week just to see what people have in mind and we might still go back to the 5 movies thing but I doubt that.  We'll see.
So Friday morning comes around I roll out of bed at 7am.  I do not like this.  I get to my Screenwriting class and re-introduce myself to Jamie.  She's back after a semester in Aussieland and summer in Europe.  We sit in our overly cramped classroom and I don't even notice Erik (my cohort from 2 of last semester's cinemasplorations, and bass player for Stolen) is in the class.  Like I said, it was crowded. 
Stuart (our prof.) talked at great length (which he's great at) about what we're gonna be doing this semester.  Mostly, I sat thinking about how much I'd like to sleep in on Fridays.  The class is gonna be a lot of work but not crazy-lots.  Stuart knows his shit so I look forward to his feedback on my written masterworks.
I left class with the intention of taking a nap but I didn't even blink funny until very late in the evening.
So that was my week and that shall be what my semester shall be like.  Ahem, yeah.  What you got on that?!  Nothin'.  I thought so.  :-P  Pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbth!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment