Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016: Year In Review


Hey, Kids! Remember MySpace? Me neither. Remember when we used to fill out survey type things on the internet? Kinda? Yep, that's pretty much what this is. I haven't done this since 2011 but good ol' Facebook reminded me of it last night, so what the H? Here goes...

1) DRINKING BUDDY OF THE YEAR
Always begin with the awkward. Good call. I don't drink but I do spend most of my social hours with my favorite gal pal/wife: Leah. She does the drinking and I do the eating. That's our arrangement. Oh and I try her drink and make the funny faces.

2) LIFETIME SERVICE AWARD (longest known friend) -
Wayne. What's it been? 28 years? Jeebus.

3) NEWCOMER AWARD - COOLEST NEWEST FRIEND?
Preston is an awesome dude and made of steel. It's been awesome to get to know Brad better, especially when we were roomies. John took me to see Rogue One and thankfully fully recovered from his go kart related injuries. Go Cards! All of my new softball buds are great too.

4) HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR?
Well there was that one time when I got MARRIED! That was pretty exceptional moment. It was such a wonderful time that flewwwwww by way too fast. And it went off without a hitch. Well, I mean, we got hitched, which is a hitch. No fights broke out, nobody got too drunk, and everyone had a fun time. That was more than we could have hoped for. Thanks to Leah for marrying me, Michael for marrying us, Tracy for helping it run smoothly, and to all of our guests for not interrupting the ceremony and professing their undying love for Leah and stealing her away from me. Whew!

Meeting Donald Faison (Brown Bear) was also a pretty big moment. Big shout out to Kira Soltanovich for making that happen, and for not telling me ahead of time so I wouldn't be nervous.

Also, if I may brag, I was able to get Jon Cryer (Duckie) to sign a DVD of Pretty In Pink for my sister. Brother of the Year, you say? Well thank you.

5) LOW POINT OF THE YEAR?
Unfortunately, I lost a couple of aunts within the last few months and a friend a couple months prior to that. It still doesn't feel real. While the circumstances were different, the results are tragic none-the-less. The world has lost so many great artists and public figures but obviously these hit me harder and more profoundly. It is the one thing about getting older that doesn't get better. You become more assured with yourself and your life comes clearer into focus, and then you start to lose people. It sucks. R.I.P. Kathy Lanners, Aunt Leslie, and Kristen Behrendt.

6) BEST HOLIDAY?
Okay, try to get back to happy after that. Thanks, survey. I really did enjoy Christmas this year. Both of them.

7) YOUR SONG FOR 2016?
"Get Right" by Jimmy Eat World. Thankfully they put out a new album, Integrity Blues, this year. "Get Right" just has a such a dark, heavier riff to it, that kind of hearkens back to their earlier sound which I first came to know of and love them for. It talks about being too addicted to goals and not enjoying the process of getting there, which is something I need to remind myself of and staying present.

8) MOVIE FOR 2016?
I really enjoyed Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Deadpool was awesome. Oh shoot, I just remembered that I saw The Force Awakens on January 1, 2016. Not a bad year when you have 2 Star Wars movies to choose from.

9) WHO DID YOU SPEND VALENTINE'S DAY WITH?
I know I spent it with Leah. We went on probably the steepest hike ever on a 90+ degree day with Cam, Raleigh, and Albus (their dog). Probably almost died on it. Definitely got a little poison ivy on my left wrist.

10) WHAT WERE YOU FOR HALLOWEEN?
I was Bojack Horseman. We peer pressured Dana into inviting us over and I played guitar and drank Orange Crush while my better half got a little shwasted. She may have licked cupcake frosting off someone's face. And not mine.

11) RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR.
Tipsy Cow. It's pretty much a burger place in Sherman Oaks but man, is it good. The Mac Daddy burger is a burger covered with mac and cheesy and pork belly. It's so good, I had my bachelor party there and then went back for my birthday. Oh and the vanilla and salted caramel milkshake. Nums.

12) KISS OF THE YEAR?
 It's gotta be one right after "You may kiss the bride," right? The one right after Leah got back from South Africa was a close second. Absence making the heart grow fonder and whatnot.

13) BEST DECISION MADE THIS YEAR?

Marrying that Leah girl!

14) WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR NEXT YEAR?
Go on that honeymoon, finally see Europe (at least parts of it), and then I guess maybe we'll start cooking a baby. Obviously, that's a metaphor. We may get a house too. Job-wise, I hope things at All Things Comedy continue to grow and that I'm a valuable and appreciated part of it. I think the new studio/partnership we're in has put us on our way to that.

15) MOST STUPID IDEA WHEN DRUNK?
I don't have those. But I will drink and eat more than I should. When Leah was in South Africa, I ate like a college freshman and probably put on the "freshman 15" (in a week).

16) TV SHOW OF THE YEAR?
The Man In The High Castle, Game Of Thrones, Fargo (goddammit, so good), Planet Earth II, The Night Of (John Turturro's feet for President!). Also, The People Vs O.J. Simpson and O.J. Simpson: Made In America.


17) MOST LOYAL FRIEND?
Gerry gave an awesome speech/roast at my wedding and Travis gave an awesome impromptu speech as well.

18) BIGGEST DOUCHEBAGS?
Donald. J.. Trump. Most internet trolls. YouTube commenters.

19) BIGGEST CUNTS (not literally)?
Nicole (wife's former coworker), Sarah Palin, distant family members who got political on Facebook.

20) NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION?
Be sweeter. I'm trying to be more sentimental in general but also to send out birthday cards to family members and such. Leah is really rubbing off on me. Also, got to get in better shape. It's time. Can't hurt. Much.

No comments:

Post a Comment